The Woman's Education Association was a group that was founded in Boston, MA, in 1872 (it continued operating until 1929). The group was convened by "Melusina Fay Peirce and Charlotte Frances Buck Brooks as the Committee on the Better Education of Women on 22 Dec" (Collection Guides 2018). This group supported many women focused initiatives, and scientific initiatives. Among its many laudable projects, the Woman's Education Association "instituted the Harvard Examinations for Women (1872), arranged with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to offer summer chemistry courses for women (1873), encouraged Harvard to offer botany courses (1879), raised money for Radcliffe College (1894)" (SNAC ND). The Association also helped to found a summer laboratory at Annisquam, MA, then later they helped to found the MBL. According to the MBL's historical records: "in 1887, the Woman’s Education Association appointed a committee of twelve members 'to perfect plans for the organization of a permanent sea-side laboratory' that would replace the Annisquam Laboratory and combine research and instruction. The committee was inspired not only by the Annisquam lab, but by Harvard biologist Louis Agassiz‘s short-lived [Anderson School] summer school of natural history on Penikese Island, off the coast of Woods Hole. Woods Hole was quickly picked as the site of the new permanent lab."