Back to top

Woods Hole (Mass.)

Surf Drive in the area of today's Oyster Pond Road intersection. Oyster Pond in background
William Procter sitting at desk working
Captain John Veeder in the Wheelhouse. Veeder first came to the MBL in 1890 when the Laboratory acquired the Sagitta, a steam launch that added greatly to the small fleet of the two old dories that the Annisquam Laboratory bequeathed the MBL. The Supply Department began with the advent of power, making it possible to take students out on field trips, picnics, or other outings. Having grown up at Cuttyhunk Island, Veeder knew the waters of Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay, and would never take unnecessary chances with the students. It was said he could "box the compass" faster than anyone else in Woods Hole. He retired in 1933 after 42 years at the Laboratory
Fisheries building on right
Woods Hole
William Procter in front of Old Main 1923
Penzance Garage (Socony Fuel sign) with Lillie-Crane Buildings in the center back, and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution's Bigelow building to its right (with cupola).
Fisheries building at Woods Hole 1919
Water Street and MBL Street
Fog horn - 1928 The horn was located on the bluff across the road from Nobska Light. Note buoy tender in background.
L-R Eberhardt, Richard Huettner, Robert Huettner, Harriet & Bill Sturtevant
E.B. Wilson with Richard (L) and Robert (R) Huettner. Dr. Wilson was using crutches at this time due to severe arthritis. He was also suffering from hypertension.