76 - 100 of 100

Chemical and glassware department, Image #4

Man sitting at desk reviewing papers. Chemical apparatus visible in background.

Created: 1951

Chemical and glassware department, Image #3

Man conducting fractional distillation. Boiling liquid present in large boiling round flask

Created: 1951

Chemical and glassware department, Image #2

Worker in the MBL glassware departmant as seen through an inverted round flask. 2nd view with light reflection.

Created: 1951

Chemical and glassware department, Image #1

Worker in the MBL glassware departmant as seen through an inverted round flask.

Created: 1951

Truck Trip for Microcyona, 6/22. Image #9

MBL dock behind Supply House. 3 boats docked. Seaweed laid out on portion of dock.

Created: 1951-06-22

Truck Trip for Microcyona, 6/22. Image #3

Two men with a truck carrying a small boat. Located behind Lillie building in front of MBL Supply House

Created: 1951-06-22

Truck Trip for Microcyona, 6/22. Image #2

Four men standing or sitting looking out windows of MBL Supply House. One man in foreground leaning on tank.

Created: 1951-06-22

Truck Trip for Microcyona, 6/22. Image #1

Five men sitting or standing near windows of MBL Supply House with tanks in foreground.

Created: 1951-06-22

John P. Trinkaus smiling in the lab at Woods Hole

John P. Trinkaus in the laboratory at the MBL. Trinkaus is seated in front of video equiptment, and is smiling at the camera.

John P. Trinkaus and Steve Zottoli in the lab

John P. Trinkaus (left) standing next to Steve Zottoli (right) in their shared laboratory at the MBL

MBL Swope Center

image/jpg black and white image reformatted digital

Created: 1979-09-11 to 1979-09-13

Water and MBL Streets

Water Street and MBL Street. Crane building on right

Pitching horseshoes behind Old Main

Pitching horseshoes behind Old Main. EE Just (left) and Donald Lancefield

MBL Street

MBL Street showing Old Main and the botany building

EE Just pitching horseshoes

E.E. Just playing horseshoes, Donald Lancefield behind. Unknown to left

MBL Crane and Candle House buildings

Looking east on Water Street Crane Building, Candle House and Marine Biological Laboratory Club on right

Created: 1919

William Procter at his lab table in Old Main

Procter at microscope with specimen in hand

Created: 1923

Old Main and Botany Buildings

MBL Street Old Main and Botany Buildings

Botany Building

View of Botany Buildings - 1925

Created: 1925

Water and MBL Streets

Water Street and MBL Street

Pitching Horseshoes Outside of Old Main

EE Just wearing hat with Franz Schrader and Donald Lancefield in background

Created: 1928

Marine Biological Laboratory:Woods Holl Mass

First Laboratory Building

Created: 1894-08-11

Marine Biological Laboratory:Woods Holl Mass

First Laboratory Building

Created: 1890s

Marine Biological Laboratory: Woods Holl Mass Interior View

Interior View of working laboratory

Created: 1890

The Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Mass. 1935

1 black and white video; sound (musical accompaniment only); reformatted digital

By the 1930s, the MBL had become "the" place to go during the summer for biological research and training. Luminaries such as Frank Lillie, Edmund Beecher Wilson, Edwin Grant Conklin, and Thomas Hunt Morgan took their students, packed up their families and research labs, and headed to the MBL. They worked in labs, ate together in the Mess, and they often lived in the limited on-campus housing. Life at the MBL was a life where fun, family, and science intertwined. This film, taken in 1935 by B. R. Coonfield of Brooklyn College, captures snippets of life at the MBL.

Created: 1935