Using Biodiversity - Supply & Sale

As knowledge about marine organisms and their remarkable biology began to travel, so did the organisms themselves. Beginning as early as 1892, the MBL supply department began to preserve and sell marine organisms to educators elsewhere. In the early years MBL investigators did their own collecting work, and so the newly established supply department was formed largely to supply educators and museum curators elsewhere. This department, and the MBL itself, later formed a fruitful collaboration with a prominent American biological supply company in Chicago known as the General Biological Supply House, which sold and distributed its line of biological education aids under the trade name Turtox.